Sunday, November 14, 2010

Psalm 11

3 When the foundations are being destroyed,
what can the righteous do?
4 The LORD is in his holy temple;
the LORD is on his heavenly throne.
He observes everyone on earth;
hi eyes examine them.

Lately, I have felt like my foundation of self-reliance and self-protection have been taken away.

I've been nervous, inarticulately moody, and sullen, unable to explain how or why I felt ravaged by guilt, fear, and anxiety.

I felt shaken, without a foundation.

After his rhetorical question, the psalmist assert what the foundation-less can do: know that the LORD is in his holy temple, on his heavenly throne. How frustrating is that?! The man without a foundation can do nothing but know. Know and trust that God is set apart by His goodness + justice + purity + mercy + power.

That "upright men will see his face" rather than illusions of self-importance and security.


1 comment: