Monday, June 1, 2009

MBT #3: Picking Up Where You Left Off

Angelo, upon seeing me at a church youth group meeting in high school:
"Are you lost?"
I love this man.

He is one of my best friends and has been my Sunday school teacher, counselor, role model, mentor, friend, and older brother. His patience and humility astound me, and in high school, he invited me into the Christian community when I felt that no one else did. His willingness to faithfully and actively pursue me and love me in quirky ways played a HUGE role in my personal encounters with Jesus, and continues to inspire me to do the same. He still claims that his love language is sarcasm. And I still laugh everytime I hear that.

In my eyes, he is kind of a big deal.

And throughout my first year at college, we struggled to maintain our friendship even with phone calls and school break dates. In loving me, he let me go: "You will always have your safety net back home. We are here."
And I never doubted it.

This past Saturday he gave me a ride to a friend's wedding, and after dropping off his ladyfriend at the church, we made a run for the Vietnamese grocery store across the street. Bringing back two sandwiches I had heard rumors of greatness about, we sat in his car under a tree and began unwrapping them. He was quick to add the one thing that would make this moment impeccable:
U2's "City of Blinding Lights"

The May breeze flowing through open car windows intermingling with U2's epic upliftness as we munched on crisp bread, fresh meats, and the sour fish sauce prickling my taste buds was too much. I began to laugh and he asked what was so funny.
"This is."

He later told me he wanted me to be part of the wedding as a greeter.
I would love to.

2 comments:

  1. Bethanie, you have a capacity for friendship that amazes me. :) And don't break the bloggin circle of trust next time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Bethanie... I know that moment all too well.

    You laugh.
    "What's so funny?"
    "This is."

    ReplyDelete