Tuesday, October 6, 2009

MBT #10: Getting Sick

I usually enjoy being sick.
Although I'm not fond of the sickly and frail miserableness of it all, I can appreciate the humor of it. Most of the time I run around like an arrogantly invincible, reckless young adult, not taking any time to think of how I could be just one heartbeat away from the end. I try to think big, and dream bigger, and all it takes to drain my energy and make me irritable is a microscopic virus. It's not even a living organism, but is more than capable of ruining my week. I can't help but laugh at my distorted sense of homo sapien entitlement.

I also am a fan of letting other people take care of me. My pride doesn't allow this to come easy, but I'm learning to swallow it seeing as how I can't taste much when I'm congested anyway.

I'm often surprised by how many people play mom ("WHY ARE YOU NOT WEARING MORE CLOTHES?") or take the time to offer a hopeful smile ("I hope you feel better."). And especially concern from professors who see that:
my recovery > sticking to the syllabus

I can't help but feel pampered and loved when friends bring tea or soup or leave encouraging messages to cheer my immune system on. I also think it's incredible how all I really want is to be hugged and how for every person who shirks away from fear of getting sick, there is always someone willing to brave it for me.

So the next time you are sick, let us hug you, bring you tea, and insist that you wear a heavier jacket. And while you can, enjoy all the sleep you're getting and movies you are watching.

5 comments:

  1. I like how sickness keeps our attitude in check: a constant reminder of how weak and small we are. But I also like how it reminds us about the power of small sentiment.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooooooo I just randomly remembered that I love your writing and came upon this! Thank you for this and for brightening my day a few hundred miles away.

    i miss you and your warmth a lot, hope i can call you soon! But I also realized that I lost your number. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friends sound wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow somebody likes attention

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous

    Name anyone, especially a girl, who doesn't like attention. Try it.

    ReplyDelete